The Division of International Special Education and Services (DISES), a division of the Council for Exceptional Children, promotes knowledge exchange, collaboration, human rights and advocacy to those who provide services for individuals with disabilities. DISES promotes international communication, cooperation, and progress in education and services for children who have disabilities and/or gifts and talents. DISES serves as a catalyst for the international exchange of special education practice, promotes international research, and sponsors forums for professional development, and establishes networks that foster international association. You can visit the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) website here.
The Division of International Special Education and Services (DISES), a division of the Council for Exceptional Children, promotes knowledge exchange, collaboration, human rights and advocacy to those who provide services for individuals with disabilities.
● Improve understanding of the conditions facing individuals with exceptional education needs and the professionals, parents, and others who provide education and services for them throughout the world.
● Serve as a catalyst for the international exchange of information on practice, research, technology and issues related to education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs.
● Promote international research and cross-cultural studies that advance education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs.
● Sponsor forums for professional development and discussion among those who are involved in providing education and services for individuals with exceptional needs.
● Engage in international projects and partnerships that join people from various societies and cultures in working toward common goals.
● Establish networks that foster collegiality and international association, recognize achievement and leadership, and foster broad understandings of the international experience in education and services for individuals with exceptional needs.
● Disseminate information in support of the Division’s purposes.
Early Bird Registration Open Now!
Please join us for the DISES 2020 conference in Dubai! It is on June 23rd-25th, 2020. Early Bird registration is open now so make sure you register before it closes. You can find more information on the events page.
President's Message - January 2020
Dear guests and DISES members,
Happy New Year! Hope all had a wonderful break with family and friends! I wanted to share a few highlights and updates from DISES. I am excited to introduce DISES Board members: Dr. James Chapple, Membership Officer and Ms. Linda Balon-Smith, Member-at-Large.
Early bird registration is now open for the DISES 2020 Dubai conference. You can register using the link here.
Check out the information on Sally Loughborough and Dr. Kevin Miller in the Member Spotlight section.
Can you believe that DISES has been around for 30 years! Please come by the DISES table at the Expo at CEC convention in Portland and join us for the reception. There are many other exciting DISES events and presentations as well. Check out the listing below:
Dr. Jugnu Agrawal
Nominate a Deserving Colleague for a DISES International Award!
Nominations Deadline has been extended to January 7, 2020.
Do you know someone who has demonstrated commitment to and excellence in international special education services or research? Consider nominating them for one of our DISES awards to be given at the DISES Reception during the CEC Conference in Portland in February.
Self nominations are also welcome!
The DISES Awards provide an opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments of our colleagues who have advanced the field of international special education and services.
The 2020 DISES Awards are:
1. The DISES Distinguished International Leadership Award;
2. The DISES Distinguished International Teacher Award;
3. The DISES Distinguished Student Leadership/Service Award; and
4. The DISES Distinguished Student Research Award.
To review the criteria for each award and nominate a deserving leader CLICK HERE. Note that the deadline has been extended from December 20th to January 7th.
Send nomination materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 7, 2020.
To view past award winners, click here.