The Division of International Special Education and Services (DISES), a division of the Council for Exceptional Children, promotes knowledge exchange, collaboration, human rights and advocacy to those who provide services for individuals with disabilities. DISES promotes international communication, cooperation, and progress in education and services for children who have disabilities and/or gifts and talents. DISES serves as a catalyst for the international exchange of special education practice, promotes international research, and sponsors forums for professional development, and establishes networks that foster international association. You can visit the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) website here.
The Division of International Special Education and Services (DISES), a division of the Council for Exceptional Children, promotes knowledge exchange, collaboration, human rights and advocacy to those who provide services for individuals with disabilities.
● Improve understanding of the conditions facing individuals with exceptional education needs and the professionals, parents, and others who provide education and services for them throughout the world.
● Serve as a catalyst for the international exchange of information on practice, research, technology and issues related to education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs.
● Promote international research and cross-cultural studies that advance education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs.
● Sponsor forums for professional development and discussion among those who are involved in providing education and services for individuals with exceptional needs.
● Engage in international projects and partnerships that join people from various societies and cultures in working toward common goals.
● Establish networks that foster collegiality and international association, recognize achievement and leadership, and foster broad understandings of the international experience in education and services for individuals with exceptional needs.
● Disseminate information in support of the Division’s purposes.
President's Message - March 2020
Dear DISES Members and Guests,
It has been a rough last couple of weeks with the new normal which has become our reality. It is in times like these that we rely on friends and family. I wanted to reach out to you to stay connected and also share some resources. Please feel free to reach out to me or any of us at DISES. Also, see below for information regarding the DISES Dubai 2020 conference.
Dr. Jugnu Agrawal
FREE CEC Membership
CEC has made an incredibly generous decision to open up CEC membership to those who may not be members, in case there are resources that CEC has that could be helpful. Please share this information with supervising faculty, cooperating teachers, students, teachers, and others. This is a sincere offer from CEC to help share the brain power at CEC during this unprecedented time.
CEC is opening its doors to the special education community in need of resources. Nonmembers of CEC can receive a free basic membership from now through May 31st by using the promotional code "CECED60". This will give you access to all of CEC's journal articles, member discounts on events, and access to CEC's online membership community where you can ask questions and receive support from special educators, administrators and support personnel. Join now! Early bird registration is now open for the DISES 2020 Dubai conference. You can register using the link here.
• Google and YouTube have launched new resource pages to help teachers and families continue to educate students while they're home from school due to the novel coronavirus. Click here for more info.
• Check out the lesson plans and activities for in home activities for parents by grade level at Discovery Education. Click here for more info.
• Indiana Department of Education Resources has a collection of several resources for teachers and parents to support different content areas including social-emotional learning. Click here for more info.
• UNESCO provides a list of educational applications and platforms to help parents, teachers, schools and school systems facilitate student learning and provide social caring and interaction during periods of school closure. Most of the solutions are free and several support multiple languages. Click here for more info.
Update on Dubai 2020 International Conference
Dear Dubai 2020 Presenters:
Like you, the DISES board has been monitoring the latest news about the COVID-19 coronavirus. At this time, there are still so many unknowns, and the situation changes on a daily basis. We are aware that many events have been cancelled, businesses have closed, and many schools, have closed through the end of March and possibly beyond. In light of the fact that the Dubai 2020 conference is still 3 months away, and much could change in either direction by then, DISES continues to plan for the conference, June 23-25th. However, we will continue to monitor the situation over the next few weeks based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat information. Resources include the US State Department travel warning levels as well as information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
DISES will finalize a decision regarding the conference no later than April 20th and will provide an update to presenters and attendees. We are also posting information on the DISES website at dises-cec.org.
In the event that the conference is postponed until the fall or later, you will be asked if you still plan to participate. If you cannot participate given the dates of the rescheduled event, you may request that your registration fee be refunded without penalty.
If it becomes necessary to cancel DISES 2020 rest assured that your conference registration fee will be reimbursed. The conference hotel, the Roda Al Murooj cancellation policy allows you to cancel your room reservations up to 72 hours prior to the conference. Most airlines are allowing for a one time change of itinerary. Please check with your airline so there are no surprises. As for all of our international events, DISES continues to urge attendees to purchase travel insurance as DISES can refund registration fees but cannot be responsible for individual travel or hotel costs.
Questions? As always, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All updates will be posted on the DISES website.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Stay safe!
President's Message - January 2020
Dear guests and DISES members,
Happy New Year! Hope all had a wonderful break with family and friends! I wanted to share a few highlights and updates from DISES. I am excited to introduce DISES Board members: Dr. James Chapple, Membership Officer and Ms. Linda Balon-Smith, Member-at-Large.
Early bird registration is now open for the DISES 2020 Dubai conference. You can register using the link here.
Check out the information on Sally Loughborough and Dr. Kevin Miller in the Member Spotlight section.
Can you believe that DISES has been around for 30 years! Please come by the DISES table at the Expo at CEC convention in Portland and join us for the reception. There are many other exciting DISES events and presentations as well. Check out the listing below:
Dr. Jugnu Agrawal
Nominate a Deserving Colleague for a DISES International Award!
Nominations Deadline has been extended to January 7, 2020.
Do you know someone who has demonstrated commitment to and excellence in international special education services or research? Consider nominating them for one of our DISES awards to be given at the DISES Reception during the CEC Conference in Portland in February.
Self nominations are also welcome!
The DISES Awards provide an opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments of our colleagues who have advanced the field of international special education and services.
The 2020 DISES Awards are:
1. The DISES Distinguished International Leadership Award;
2. The DISES Distinguished International Teacher Award;
3. The DISES Distinguished Student Leadership/Service Award; and
4. The DISES Distinguished Student Research Award.
To review the criteria for each award and nominate a deserving leader CLICK HERE. Note that the deadline has been extended from December 20th to January 7th.
Send nomination materials by email to email@example.com by January 7, 2020.
To view past award winners, click here.